That is what I baked last night and we had it for breakfast this morning. One of my girlfriends Karine was searching for the recipe online to make a birthday cake because that was the birthday girl’s request. This also happens to be CS’ favourite kind of cheesecake; hence the motivation for me to try bake it myself.
Overall, I found this baking process to be pretty easy. However, I did learn from a few mistakes and know what to better the next time!
Here’s the recipe for those who are interested:
140 grams caster sugar
6 eggs white
6 eggs yolk
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
50 grams unsalted butter
250 grams cream cheese
100ml fresh milk
1tbsp lemon juice
60 grams plain flour (sifted)
20 grams cornflour (cornstarch)
1) Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over slow heat (in a double boiler, if possible).
Note: What I did was melt the mixture in a stainless bowl (but don’t let the base touch the water) over a saucepan of boiling water and stir until you get a melted smooth mixture.
2) Let cheese mixture cool for 10 minutes. Fold in the sifted flour, cornstarch, eggs yolks, lemon juice and mix well.
3) Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form (use electric beater for quicker result).
Note: Egg whites must be in room temperature and the container you whisk the eggs and sugar in must be thoroughly clean with no oily residue at all. This is very important; otherwise, you will not get the soft peaks no matter how long you whisk.
4) Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well.
5) Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of baking pan with baking paper. Add mixture to the pan.
6) Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hour 10 minutes at 160 degrees (or 140 degrees if fan-forced) in the oven until it has set and turned golden brown.
Note: To know if the cake is ready, poke a skewer into it and if it comes out clean, then it is ok. But if the top of the cake still hasn’t turned golden brown by then, turn on the grill function of the oven and increase temperature and bake for another 3-5 minutes.